Emergency: 911        Non-Emergency: (803) 436-2774
Location: 1281 North Main Street, Sumter, SC 29153
     Mailing: P.O. Box 430, Sumter, SC 29151


If you have a question that is not answered below, please send us an email by clicking here and we will consider adding it to our list.

Civil Process Warrants

Where are evictions filed?
At Sumter County Summary Court, also known as Magistrate Court, located at 190 E. Canal Street in Sumter.
Which documents are filed in the Civil Department of Sumter County Summary Court for evictions?
A Notice to Quit or a Rule to Vacate or Show Cause are filed for evictions.  The final step for an eviction is the Writ of Ejectment (if the entire process is completed by the plaintiff). Sumter County Sheriff’s Office cannot and will not proceed with an eviction if the plaintiff does not complete the filing of appropriate documents for the eviction.
Who schedules and effectuates evictions?
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Civil Process Warrants Division.
Does the sheriff's office remove items from properties during an eviction?

No, it is the responsibility of the landlord and/or the representative(s) of the plaintiff (landlord) to remove items such as furniture and trash from the property that the defendant(s) are being evicted from.

Is there a difference between a Restraining Order and an Order of Protection?
Yes, an Order of Protection, filed in Sumter County Family Court, can only be filed against an abuser who is  a spouse, former spouse, someone the victim has a child in common with or who is a current or previous live-in partner of the opposite sex.
Where is a Restraining Order filed?

Restraining Orders are filed in Sumter County Summary Court.

Is there a cost to file a Restraining Order?
Yes, however, a magistrate judge will determine who is responsible for paying the filing fee after the Restraining Order hearing has been heard. Sumter County Summary Court must be contacted for a quote.
How much does it cost to file a Courtesy Summons Warrant or an Arrest Warrant?

There is no cost.

Are there fees for service of civil documents served by Sumter County Sheriff's Office?

Yes. Sumter County Sheriff’s Office must be contacted for a quote. 

Are there fees to pay when filing a Claim and Delivery or a Summons & Complaint?
Yes, because there are various documents will need to be filed  that are filed with Sumter County Summary Court. Summary Court must be contacted for a quote.

Detention Center

How do I sign out property from an inmate?
Personal or valuable property can only be released by signed authorization of approval from the inmate. The personal property or valuable property can be picked up from Sumter County Sheriff's Office Detention Center, 1250 Winkles Road, Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
How do I put money on an inmate's account?
Family members and friends can use our Lobby Kiosk, 1250 Winkles Road, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Sunday.  The kiosk accepts cash, credit cards and debit cards at a $4 fee. The kiosk does not accept $1 bills and does not give change after a deposit is made.

Additionally, family members and friends can call Access Corrections, toll free, at 1-866-394-0490 or go to accesscorrections.com.
How do I send mail to an inmate at the Detention Center?
The following rules MUST be followed:

  • Put your name and return address on the envelope; and
  • Put the inmate’s full name — the name he or she is booked under — on the envelope.
Use the following as an example:

John Doe (Housing Unit Location Number)
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center
1250 Winkles Road Sumter, SC 29153

ALL incoming mail will be inspected for contraband. Any mail found to contain contraband will be held by the detention center and could serve as the basis for disciplinary or criminal charges, or could be returned to the sender.

How do I set up an account to talk to an inmate housed at the detention center?
Family members and friends can set up an account through Securus Technologies, a third-party vendor, by calling 1-800-844-6591 or by going to securustech.net.
What are the visitation hours for inmates?

Inmates are allowed one (1) 30-minute visit per day and only two (2) visitors are allowed each visit. Inmates are allowed a total of two (2) 30-minute visits per week. All visitors must be signed in 15 minutes before the scheduled visitation time.

Visitation schedules vary by inmate housing units.

Please call (803) 436-2353 for housing unit visitation schedules.

What time is bond court held at the detention center?

Bond hearings are conducted Monday through Friday at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Bond hearings are held as needed on the weekends and on holidays with no afternoon sessions for these hearings.

Bond hearings times are subject to change upon discretion of the Magistrate Judge. Call (803) 436-2340 to verify bond hearing times.

How much money does an inmate have in his or her account?

Inmate account information is confidential and cannot be shared, however, the inmate can choose to disclose the amount of money in his or her account to an outside party.

How do I post bond for an inmate?

A bonding agency must be contacted too initiate a surety bond. Sumter County Sheriff's Office personnel cannot give advice on the selection of bonding agencies. Once a bond is secured with a bonding agency, that agency will make the arrangements with the courts to secure the discharge documents needed to process the inmate's release.

When and how often can inmates make phone calls?

Inmates are given personal call privileges upon their request during the intake process. Subsequent calls are made on the inmate telephone system located in the housing unit.

How do I notify the detention center about the death of an inmate's family member?
Notifications of a death in the inmate’s family should be directed to the control room operator or the shift supervisor on duty by calling (803) 436-2340.

Arrangements will be made by staff members for the inmate to see the chaplain for the detention center.

Job Duties / Recruitment

Do patrol deputies work rotating shifts?

Yes, deputies work 12-hour shifts. In a 28-day cycle, a deputy will work 14 days and will have 14 days off.

What type of calls do deputies handle?
Patrol deputies respond to a variety of calls ranging from civil disturbances, assaults, thefts, domestic violence, serving mental papers, violent crimes, break-ins, welfare and property checks, security alarms, etc.
What does the pre-employment PAT Test consist of?
The course consists of a series of nine (9) individual tasks:  running, jumping over low hurdles, climbing stairs, low crawling, broad jumping, jumping over a 4-foot fence, climbing through a window, pulling a 150-pound weight and changing direction while running within the qualifying time, 2 minutes and 6 seconds.

This test and qualifying time is set by South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
What is the starting salary for Class I and Class III deputies?
The starting salary for deputies is $38,000/year for non-experienced and non-certified individuals.
What is the starting salary for a Detention Officer?
The starting salary for detention officers is $33,000/ year for non-experienced and non-certified individuals.
What is the TABE Test and what is considered to be a passing score?

TABE Test (Test of Adult Basic Education) ACCUPLACER

Central Carolina Technical College (CCTC) Testing Center administers the TABE Test to prospective employees of Sumter County Sheriff’s Office. A $25 fee, paid by the applicant, is required for the test.

The TABE Test is offered from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesdays by appointment only. Call (803) 778-1961 to schedule a testing appointment.

Study material is provided by CCTC.

Sumter County Sheriff's Office considers a score of 250 or higher a passing score.

How long is the training for Class I deputies?

Class I deputies attend a 4-week pre-academy course at Central Carolina Technical College before attending 8 weeks of instruction at South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, for a total of 12 weeks.

How long is the training for Class II detention officers?

Class II detention officers attend 3 weeks of instruction at South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.

How long is the training for Class III deputies?

Class III deputies attend 2 weeks of training at Sumter County Sheriff’s Office and must pass a test administered by South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.

Am I required to take a physical agility test, polygraph and psychological exam to become a Class I deputy?
Am I required to take the physical agility test, polygraph and psychological exam to become a Class II detention officer?
Am I required to take the physical agility test, polygraph and psychological exam to become a Class III deputy?

Class III applicants must take a polygraph and psychological exam. The physical agility test is not required.

Will I receive a pay increase for my college degree?

Yes, you will receive an annual salary increase for the highest degree you hold. See below:

Associate Degree — 2.5%
Bachelor's Degree — 5%
Master's Degree — 5%

How can I get more information about employment at Sumter County Sheriff's Office?

Contact our recruitment officer, Lt. James Dukes, by calling (803) 436-2048 or by sending him an email at jdukes@sumtercountysc.org.

You can also visit our office at 1281 N. Main St. in Sumter.


How do I report a crime?

For an emergency, call 911.

For a non-emergency, call dispatch at (803) 436-2775.

How can I file a report?

To  have a deputy respond to your location, call dispatch at (803) 436-2775, the non-emergency number.

You can also file a report over the phone by calling (803) 436-2000 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (803) 436-2775 to file a report over the phone after hours and on weekends.

Where do I pick up a police report?
Incident reports can be picked up from the sheriff's office, 1281 N. Main St., from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Reports can also be retrieved through email by calling (803) 436-2000 during the same listed hours.
How do I report drug activity and other illegal acts?

Call (803) 436-2775, the non-emergency dispatch number, or fill this form to report a crime electronically.

Will the sheriff's office check my house when I'm away on vacation?

Yes.  Fill out this form to request a temporary property check, call the sheriff’s office at (803) 436-2000 or call dispatch at (803) 436-2775 to have patrol deputies check your property while you're away.

How do I request deputies to patrol my neighborhood for speeding concerns?

Fill out this complaint/request form or call the patrol captain at (803) 436-2364.

Citizens Assistance Unit / Records

What are the Nonferrous Metal Permit requirements and how can I obtain one?
All interested individuals must provide a state issued ID to obtain a permit from Sumter County Sheriff's Office. 

Residents can only get a permit in the county where he or she lives and the first permit is free. Additional permits or replacement permits cost $10.

Call (803) 436-2000 for more information.
How can I check if I have a warrant?
Use this Police to Citizen link to check for active warrants. This link also provides an inmate inquiry for individuals housed at Sumter County Sheriff's Office Detention Center.
What are your fees for civil service?
Subpoena Writ — $10

Summons & Complaint, Subpoena, Mechanics Lien — $15

Executions, Writs, and all Family Court services —$25
Does your office provide Internet Safety Exchange Zones?
Public safety is our first priority which is why we provide a safe exchange zone where online shopping purchase transactions and child custody exchanges can occur under video surveillance. That exchange area is located in the visitor’s parking lot at Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, 1281 N. Main St.
How can I find out if a neighborhood is safe?
Use the Police to Citizen link to search for incidents by date and street name.
Where can I pay my citation?
Pay citations on Sumter County Government's website or by calling Sumter County Summary Court at (803) 436-2280.
Where can I get a copy of my background check?
Background checks can be requested through South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) by calling (803) 737-9000 or by going to the agency's website.
What is your mailing address?
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office
PO Box 430
Sumter, SC 29151
Where can I get fingerprinted?
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only, by calling the sheriff's office at (803) 436-2000. There is a $15 fee.

Sex Offender Registry

Can sex offenders be around children?

S.C. Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services can set these types of restrictions if an offender is under an agent's supervision. However, there are no state laws that prohibit an offender from being around children, unless a specific child is a victim. 

What does Tier II and Tier III mean?
S.C. offenders are categorized by tiers, Tier II and Tier III. Tier III offenders are convicted of the more serious offenses and Tier II offenders are convicted of lesser offenses.
How often are sex offenders required to register?
Sex offenders are required to register based on the tier.  Tier II offenders are required to register bi-annually and Tier III offenders are required to register quarterly. 

All offenders are set to register on a specific schedule based on their birthdays.
Can sex offenders live near a school or daycare?

Residential restrictions for sex offenders are set forth by on S.C. Code 23-3-535(B). This law states that an offender under residential restrictions cannot live within 1000 feet of a school, daycare center, children’s recreational facility, park or public playground.

Residential restrictions only apply to offenders convicted of certain offenses.